Saturday, February 7, 2009

My Mother - The Best Role Model

This week we heard from a far away cousin that lives in Alaska. Most of our Alaskan cousins have only been to Michigan once, decades ago. It is so heartwarming to learn what a lasting impact my mother had/has on children. In an email my cousin Peter talks of the visit so long ago and remembers most fondly my mother who was willing to spend time with 10-year old Peter in the condo association swimming pool while the rest of the family was occupied in more important matters.

Mom, who was struggling to learn to swim at that time allowed Peter to take on the role of coach. During the rest of the time during the visit (when they were not swimming) Peter recalls that he buried himself in a Readers Digest Book on American Folklore that he found on my parent's bookshelf. When it was time for our Alaskan cousins to depart my mother stole a moment with Peter and gave him the Reader's Digest book, inscribed with her thanks to her best "swimming coach." In his email Peter reports that he has treasured that book for years and has passed it along to his children when they were ready. One of his daughters was even named for my mother, Mary. What a tribute.

Even over time and miles my mother's special brand of love and attention for the tender souls of children resonates through our extended family.

Today, as great grandma (GG) to Annalise, she is giving us all the gift of her love anew. Mom, thanks for being such a great role model and a source of boundless energy and love.

No comments: