Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Things They Say

Last Monday I arrived at my mother's house for a little birthday dinner celebration. Granddaughter Annalise had spent the day with GG and was very excited about the cupcakes she helped bake and decorate.

Mom and I were having a bit of a conversation over Anna's head about the fact that there had been no nap. Anna picked up on the conversation and began to say things like "GG I am mad at you" and "I don't like you." Intervening, I tried to gently correct this two year old. Soon after, Daddy arrived and we all sat down to dinner. Anna confessed at the table that she was mad at GG, when asked why she said "I was grumpy." Apologies were encouraged, offered and received.

As dinner wound down Anna and Daddy had a little power struggle over finishing the last two bites on her plate. (The lack of nap was definitely beginning to show). Daddy layed out the choice firmly yet lovingly. Anna opted for not eating the last two bites and not having a cupcake, excusing herself from the table. She did come back to me and said in a sad little voice, " I want a cupcake." Not willing to get in the middle I sent her back to Daddy who offered her another chance to finish dinner and have a cupcake. Again, Anna said no. She took herself to the den, got a sticker book and began to play. I joined her after a while and played with her for a while.

Daddy joined us in the den and he and I had a nice reminiscence around the times I had to set limits for him. We laughed about the most dramatic one where I left him standing at a gas station in Petoskey and drove on home to Charlevoix because this stubborn 16 year old would not pump the gas. A little while later Anna disappeared and came out of GG's bedroom with a blanket over her face...when I asked her about it, she dropped the blanket down just far enough to show me that she had a binkie (yes its back) in her mouth. It was so unexpected that we all burst out laughing and Daddy asked Anna if she was ready to go home and go to sleep.

As they were getting ready to go, I thanked Anna for making the cupcakes and asked for a hug and a kiss goodbye - the answer was a definite no. Next GG asked and got the same answer. She was headed for the door with her outdoor gear on when Daddy asked what she was doing...
"Leaving without kisses," she said. Daddy prevailed in changing the attitude and hugs and kisses were given all around. We really have to work on this nap time thing.

No comments: